Set the Direction for Minnesota's Transportation Investments!
March 27, 2009
Help set the direction for Minnesota's transportation investments! Next week, the Minnesota Department of Transportation will take comments on the Draft Minnesota Statewide Transportation Plan: 2009-2028. This document lays the foundation for Mn/DOT's decisions, and we want to ensure that it supports a balanced transportation system.
What we want Mn/DOT to hear:
1. Support for positive movement. This plan puts greater emphasis on transit, biking, and walking. The executive summary lists the following in a list of 11 priorities (pg. 3):
- Greater transit options throughout the state with improved connectivity between services and modes.
- Expanded networks for safe biking and walking.
- We're also happy to see that Mn/DOT has decided to measure "people movement" instead of vehicular movement (p. 3)
2. Comments on taking investments in transit, biking and walking to the next level in Minnesota.
- There shouldn’t be additional investment in highway expansion when the state can’t maintain its roads and bridges in a state of good repair.
- Retrofitting streets to make them safe for all users – drivers, bicyclists, transit users, and pedestrians.
- The DOT needs to lead – by providing technical assistance to communities on land use, complete streets, bike mapping, etc.
- To measure movement of people – we need to measure this through vehicle occupancy and shift in greater mode share by transit, biking and walking.
Your comments can really make a difference! Mn/DOT will be taking comment on this plan through 4:30pm on March 31st. Comments can be sent by email, fax, mail, or phoned in. See contact info below.
Click here to go to the Draft Statewide Plan website.
Comments on the plan can be sent to Mn/DOT by Email: StatewidePlanUpdate@dot.state.mn.us
Phone (leave a recorded message): 651-366-3799
MN Department of Transportation
Office of Investment Management and Performance Measures
St. Paul, MN 55155
Click here to make comments online (you'll need to complete a 1-time free registration).